Trade Commission Trade Commission

Is someone using your personal information to open new accounts, make purchases or get a tax refund? Report it at and get a personal recovery plan.

What to do Right Away!

Step One: Call the companies where you know fraud occurred:

*Call the fraud department. Explain that someone your identity.

*Ask them to close or freeze the accounts. Then, no one can add new changes unless you agree.

*Change logins, passwords and PINS for your accounts.

Step Two: Place a fraud alert and get your credit reports.

*To place a fraud alert, contact one of the three credit bureaus. That company must tell the other two.

*A fraud alert is free. It will make it harder for someone to open new accounts in your name. You’ll get a letter from each credit bureau. It will confirm that they placed a fraud alert on your file.




*Get a copy of your free credit reports from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. Go to or call 1-877-322-8228.

*Did you already order your free annual reports this year? If so, you can pay to get your report immediately. Or follow the instructions in the fraud alert confirmation letter from each credit bureau to get a free report. That might take longer.

*Review your reports. Make note of any account or transaction you don’t recognize. This will help you report the theft to the FTC and the police.

Step Three: Report identity theft to the FTC

*Visit and click “Get Started” or call 1-877-438-4338. Include as many details as possible. Based on the information you enter, will create your Identity Theft Affidavit and recovery plan.

If you create an account, we’ll walk you through each recovery step, update your plan as needed, track your progress and pre-fill forms and letters to you.

If you don’t create an account, you must print and save your Identity Theft Affidavit and recovery plan right away. Once you leave the page, you won’t be able to access or update them.

Step Four: File a report with you local police department

*Go to your local police office with:

-a copy of your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit

-a government-issued ID with a photo

-proof of your address (mortgage-statement, rental agreement or utilities bill)

-any other proof you have of the theft (bills, IRS notices, etc.)

-the FTC’s Memo to Law Enforcement (available at

*Tell the police someone stole your identity and you need to file a report. If they are reluctant, show them the FTC’s Memo to Law Enforcement.

*Ask for a copy of the police report. You’ll need this to complete other steps.

*Create your identity Theft Report by combining your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit with your police report.

-Your identity theft report proves to businesses that someone stole your identity. It also guarantees you certain rights.

Go to for the next steps.

Your next step might be closing accounts opened in your name or reporting fraudulent charges to your credit card company. can help-no matter what your specific identity theft situation is.

Disclaimer: This information was taken directly from the Federal Trade Commission of pamphlet. Please call or email the above numbers for more information on this service and how it works.



About jwatrel

I am a free-lance writer and Blogger. I am the author of the book "Firehouse 101" ( 2005) part of trilogy of books centered in New York City. My next book "Love Triangles" is finished being edited and should be ready for release in the Fall. My latest book, "Dinner at Midnight", a thriller is on its last chapter. My long awaited book explains the loss of the 2004 Yankee game to Boston. I work as a Consultant, Adjunct College Professor, Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance member and Blogger. I have a blog site for caregivers called 'bergencountycaregiver', a step by step survival guide to all you wonderful folks taking care of your loved ones, a walking project to walk every block, both sides, of the island of Manhattan "MywalkinManhattan" and discuss what I see and find on the streets of New York and three sites to accompany it. One is an arts site called "Visiting a Museum", where I showcase small museums, historical sites and parks that are off the beaten track both in Manhattan and outside the city to cross reference with "MywalkinManhattan" blog site. Another is "DiningonaShoeStringNYC", featuring small restaurants I have found on my travels in this project, that offer wonderful meals for $10.00 and under. So be on the lookout for updates on all three sites and enjoy 'MywalkinManhattan'. The third is my latest site, "LittleShoponMainStreet", which showcases all the unique and independent shops that I have found on my travels throughout and around Manhattan. I have started two new blog sites for the fire department, one "EngineOneHasbrouck HeightsFireDepartmentnj" for the Hasbrouck Heights Fire Department to discuss what our Engine Company is doing and the other is "BergenCountyFireman'sHomeAssociation" for the Bergen County Fireman's Association, which fire fighters from Bergen County, NJ, go to the Fireman's Home in Boonton, NJ to bring entertainment and cheer to our fellow brother fire fighters quarterly.
This entry was posted in Bergen County NJ Programs, Corporate Programming for the public, Federal Caregiver programs, Fraud Programming, Legal Assistance Programs, Men's Programming, New Jersey State Program, Senior Caregiver Programs, Senior Services, Uncategorized, Woman's Programming and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Trade Commission

  1. jwatrel says:

    Please call the above numbers if you suspect fraud.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s