Polo: BRCAm Pancreatic Cancer

Polo: BRCAm Pancreatic Cancer

Are you interested in the possibility of a new option for treating your pancreatic cancer? Ask your physician for more information about this clinical research study and to see if you can participate.

What is Pancreatic Cancer?

Pancreatic Cancer begins when abnormal cells in the pancreas grow out of control and form a tumor. The symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer are often vague, similar to symptoms caused by other conditions and may not be present in early stages of the disease.

The importance of Pancreatic Clinical Research Studies

Pancreatic cancer clinical research studies are necessary to determine whether new treatments will be beneficial to people living with pancreatic cancer. The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews and analyzes data from successful clinical trials to determine whether an experimental treatment should be approved for a specific disease or disorder, such as pancreatic cancer.

Clinical research studies are the only way that researchers can develop new treatment options for pancreatic cancer. Currently, only about 4.5% of pancreatic cancer patients enroll in clinical trials. Many patients are not aware of this option. Increased patient participation would help with progress in the development of new treatments for the disease. Another benefit of being enrolled in a study is the additional monitoring and care you will receive for your condition.

What is the study about?

This study is being conducted to test a new investigational medicine in people who have been diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer ( a cancer that has spread outside the pancreas) and have a gBRCA genetic mutation. The researchers are trying to determine how effectively the investigational medication controls the disease between chemotherapy treatments.

Who can participate?

You may qualify for this study if you are:

*Male or female 18 years of age and older.

*Clinically diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer.

*Received initial chemotherapy and the disease is stabilized or improved.

*Have a gene mutation in gBRCA1 or gBRCA2.

Other study requirements (assessed by the study doctor and/or nurse) will also need to be met to participate.

Qualifying for the study will depend upon meeting certain criteria. If you think study would be a good fit for you or someone else, please contact your study team for more details.

What would you be expected to do?

If you decide to join this study you could become one of nearly 145 people taking part in more than 80 hospital worldwide.

This study involves taking pills twice daily and regular visits to your study doctor that will last as long as you are benefiting from the treatment and willing to be involved in the study. At these visits your health status will be reviewed and other lab tests performed according to the study requirements.

Next Steps:

Participation in this study is completely voluntary. You are free to stop participation at any time and for any reason and your regular health care coverage will not be affected.

If you have a gBRCA mutation, have benefited from your chemotherapy and your doctor and you have decided it is time to take a break  from the chemotherapy, meet other study requirements, you will be randomly assigned to receive during this chemotherapy break, either the investigational medication (60% chance) or tablets with no medication (so called placebo) (40% chance). All study-related medication and procedures will be provided at no charge. You may be reimbursed for travel expenses.

Before enrolling in this study, you will be given an Informed Consent Document. This form is designed to explain the purpose of the study and the possible risks and benefits. A member of the study staff and/or study doctor will review and discuss this form with you. If you consent to participate on the study you will sign the Informed Consent Document and will get a copy.

Information About Clinical Research Studies:

It is important that you feel fully informed and comfortable about what to expect if you participate in this clinical research study. The study staff will answer any questions you may have about this clinical research study.

Some clinical research studies are designed to answer specific questions about investigational study medications and some studies are designed to ensure medication that is already being sold is safe and effective. This clinical research study is evaluation the safety and effectiveness of an investigational medication for treating your pancreatic cancer and delaying it from coming back and needing to resume chemotherapy.

Clinical research studies are performed according to strict government and regulatory guidelines. These guidelines help ensure that a participation’s safety and rights are protected during the clinical research study while allowing valuable information about he investigational medication to be collected.

Participation in any clinical research study is completely voluntary and you can withdraw from the study at any time for any reason.

For more information about the study:

If you would like to learn more about this study and to see if you are able to participate, please contact: The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network National Office.


Disclaimer” This information was taken directly from the BRCAm Pancreatic Cancer Center pamphlet and I give them full credit for it. I have never been part of a study here or used the service so I have no opinion on it either good or bad to how it is, so please call the above number for more information.


About jwatrel

I am a free-lance writer and Blogger. I am the author of the book "Firehouse 101" (IUniverse.com 2005) part of trilogy of books centered in New York City. My next book "Love Triangles" is finished being edited and should be ready for release in the Fall. My latest book, "Dinner at Midnight", a thriller is on its last chapter. My long awaited book explains the loss of the 2004 Yankee game to Boston. I work as a Consultant, Adjunct College Professor, Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance member and Blogger. I have a blog site for caregivers called 'bergencountycaregiver', a step by step survival guide to all you wonderful folks taking care of your loved ones, a walking project to walk every block, both sides, of the island of Manhattan "MywalkinManhattan" and discuss what I see and find on the streets of New York and three sites to accompany it. One is an arts site called "Visiting a Museum", where I showcase small museums, historical sites and parks that are off the beaten track both in Manhattan and outside the city to cross reference with "MywalkinManhattan" blog site. Another is "DiningonaShoeStringNYC", featuring small restaurants I have found on my travels in this project, that offer wonderful meals for $10.00 and under. So be on the lookout for updates on all three sites and enjoy 'MywalkinManhattan'. The third is my latest site, "LittleShoponMainStreet", which showcases all the unique and independent shops that I have found on my travels throughout and around Manhattan. I have started two new blog sites for the fire department, one "EngineOneHasbrouck HeightsFireDepartmentnj" for the Hasbrouck Heights Fire Department to discuss what our Engine Company is doing and the other is "BergenCountyFireman'sHomeAssociation" for the Bergen County Fireman's Association, which fire fighters from Bergen County, NJ, go to the Fireman's Home in Boonton, NJ to bring entertainment and cheer to our fellow brother fire fighters quarterly.
This entry was posted in Bergen County NJ Programs, Cancer Programming, Child Program Services, Federal Caregiver programs, Food and Nutrition Programming, Health and Life Support Services, Men's Programming, New Jersey Senior Programming, New York City Senior Programming, Senior Caregiver Programs, Senior Services, Skin Cancer and Treatment Programs, Support Services for Seniors, Uncategorized, Woman's Programming and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Polo: BRCAm Pancreatic Cancer

  1. jwatrel says:

    Please contact the above email for more information.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s