Electrical Fire Safety-NFPA

Electrical Fire Safety-NFPA

An appliance plugged into a receptacle equipped with a ground-fault circuit interrupter can reduce the risk of shock if the circuit represents a shock hazard.

Fuses and circuit breakers:

*If a fuse or circuit breaker blows, find out why it blew and correct the problem.

*Make sure replacement fuses have the proper amperage rating for the circuit they protect.

*Don’t overload your wiring by plugging more than one heat-producing appliance into the same outlet or circuit.

AFCI (arc-fault circuit-interrupter):

When an electrical switch is opened or closed, an arc or discharge of electricity across a circuit occurs. Unintentional arcs can occur at loose connections or where wires or cords have been damaged. Such arcs can lead to high combustibles. AFCIs protect against fire by continuously monitoring the electrical current in a circuit and shutting off the circuit when unintended arcing occurs. NFPA’s National Electrical Code (NEC). requires AFCI installation in bedrooms of new residential construction. Test AFCIs monthly.

GFCI (ground-fault circuit-interrupter):

A ground fault is an intentional electrical path between a source of electrical current and a grounded surface. Electrical shock can occur if a person comes into contact with an energized part. A ground-fault circuit interrupter can reduce the risk of shock by immediately shutting off an electrical circuit when that circuit represents a shock hazard (i.e. a person comes in contact with a faulty appliance together with a grounded surface). They can be hard-wired into your electrical system, built into or plugged into electrical outlets or built into extension cords. GFCI installation is required by the NEC for receptacles in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoor areas, basements and garages in new residential construction. Test GFCIs monthly.

Electrical Outlets:

*Replace old outlets with modern ones that accept three-pronged polarized plugs (only if your circuit has a ground wire).

*Never alter a plug to fit an outdated outlet.

*Install plastic safety covers in unused outlets to protect children.


*Buy only appliances that bear the label of an independent testing lab.

*Keep irons, space heaters and all heat-producing appliances at least three feet away from anything that can burn.

*Unplug toasters, coffeemakers and all small appliances when they’re not in use.

*Allow adequate ventilation around computers, stereo systems and all electronic components to prevent overheating.


*Replace cracked and frayed electrical cords.

*Don’t pinch cords against walls or furniture or run them under carpets or across doorways.


*Place lamps on level surfaces and away from combustibles.

*Use bulbs that match the lamp’s recommended wattage.

*Use shades that will protect the bulb from breaking if the lamp is knocked over.

Outdoor Power:

*Make sure outdoor electrical fixtures are weatherproof.

*Power holiday lighting displays from permanent circuits installed by an electrician-never from extension cords.

*Don’t use electrical appliances outdoors when the ground or grass is wet unless the tool has been rated for that kind of use.

*Never run extension cords across lawns, walks or driveways and use only extension cords rated for outdoor use.

Power Lines:

*Never touch a power line. Stay at a safe distance-you could be electrocuted.

*Keep ladders (especially metal ones) far away from power lines, including the electrical service into your home.

*Report downed power lines and mark the area to warn people to stay away.

Warning Signs:

Be aware of unusual conditions. Spot electrical problems before they start a fire or cause a shock. Watch for:

*Recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.

*Feeling a tingle when you touch an electrical appliance.

*Discolored wall outlets.

*A burning smell or rubbery odor coming from an appliance.

*Flicking lights. (If you don’t pinpoint a problem inside your home, have the power company inspect the service in your home and you electric meter).

Don’t wait for problems. If it’s safe, unplug malfunctioning appliances. If necessary, cut off power by unscrewing a fuse or turning off the circuit breaker. Then call a professional electrician.

Visit us online at:



NFPA Order at http://www.nfpacatalog.org or call 1-800-344-3555

Disclaimer: This information was taken from the National Fire Protection Association pamphlet and I give them full credit for the information. Please give the above number for more information.


About jwatrel

I am a free-lance writer and Blogger. I am the author of the book "Firehouse 101" (IUniverse.com 2005) part of trilogy of books centered in New York City. My next book "Love Triangles" is finished being edited and should be ready for release in the Fall. My latest book, "Dinner at Midnight", a thriller is on its last chapter. My long awaited book explains the loss of the 2004 Yankee game to Boston. I work as a Consultant, Adjunct College Professor, Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance member and Blogger. I have a blog site for caregivers called 'bergencountycaregiver', a step by step survival guide to all you wonderful folks taking care of your loved ones, a walking project to walk every block, both sides, of the island of Manhattan "MywalkinManhattan" and discuss what I see and find on the streets of New York and three sites to accompany it. One is an arts site called "Visiting a Museum", where I showcase small museums, historical sites and parks that are off the beaten track both in Manhattan and outside the city to cross reference with "MywalkinManhattan" blog site. Another is "DiningonaShoeStringNYC", featuring small restaurants I have found on my travels in this project, that offer wonderful meals for $10.00 and under. So be on the lookout for updates on all three sites and enjoy 'MywalkinManhattan'. The third is my latest site, "LittleShoponMainStreet", which showcases all the unique and independent shops that I have found on my travels throughout and around Manhattan. I have started two new blog sites for the fire department, one "EngineOneHasbrouck HeightsFireDepartmentnj" for the Hasbrouck Heights Fire Department to discuss what our Engine Company is doing and the other is "BergenCountyFireman'sHomeAssociation" for the Bergen County Fireman's Association, which fire fighters from Bergen County, NJ, go to the Fireman's Home in Boonton, NJ to bring entertainment and cheer to our fellow brother fire fighters quarterly.
This entry was posted in Corporate Programming for the public, Federal Caregiver programs, Fire Fighting/First Responder Programming, Health and Life Support Services, Home Improvement & Care Programs, Housing Programs, Senior Services, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Electrical Fire Safety-NFPA

  1. jwatrel says:

    Please call the above number for more information.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s