This was sent to us from Joe Zesski , Program Manager, Northeast ADA: This was on a question about hotel reservations for the disabled.
Reservations made by places of lodging. A public accommodations that owns, leases (or leases t0) or operates a place of lodging shall with respect to reservations made by any means, including by telephone, in person or through a third party-
- Modify its policies, practices, or procedures to ensure that individuals with disabilities can make reservations for accessible guest rooms during the same hours and in the same manner as individuals who do not need accessible rooms;
- Identify and describe accessible features in the hotels and guest rooms offered through its reservations service in enough detail to reasonably permit individuals with disabilities to assess independently whether a given hotel or guest room meets his or her accessibility needs;
- Ensure that accessible guest rooms are held for use by individuals with disabilities until all other guest rooms of that type have been rented and the accessible room requested is the only remaining room of that type;
- Reserve, upon request, accessible guest rooms or specific types of guest rooms and ensure that the guest rooms requested are blocked or removed from all reservations systems and;
- Guarantee that the specific accessible guest room reserved through its reservations service is held for the reserving customer, regardless of whether a specific room is held in response to reservations made by others.
To file a complaint with the Department of Justice, a person can either call their 800 telephone number 1-800-514-0301 or fill out an online complaint at this link:
*Special Disclaimer: the law continues to change and be modified, so if there is any concerns or questions, please email or call the above Departments. Things are always updating.
*Whenever you need a special room when travelling, always call to confirm the reservation up until the day before and write down the names of the people you worked with on the phone. It saves a lot of headaches later.