We had a visit from the police chief of the Ridgewood New Jersey Police Department and she gave our group advice on how to keep from being a victim of fraud.
Top 10 Safety Tips for being smart without being paranoid:
- Trust your instincts.
- Be alert-be aware of natural (juggling kids, groceries, luggage) and created (someone asking for the time, directions, spill on you or on the floor) distractions.
- Project self-confidence.
- Lock door and windows-both house and car-whether you are inside or out.
- Guard your keys-never leave them unattended and od not ‘hide’ them close to the house.
- Be aware of your surroundings-stay aware from burned out street lights.
- Practice the same security when around others and during the day as you do when you are alone at night.
- Verify unexpected repairs and deliveries-check the uniform, ID cards or call the supervisor.
- Don’t hesitate to be rude.
- Do not only look for the suspicious, but the innocent and ordinary-‘cute’ kids and couples make ‘cute’ criminals.
When in doubt, call 911!