We had a visit from the police chief of the Ridgewood New Jersey Police Department and she gave our group advice on how to keep from being a victim of fraud.
Top 10 Safety Tips for being smart without being paranoid:
- Trust your instincts.
- Be alert-be aware of natural (juggling kids, groceries, luggage) and created (someone asking for the time, directions, spill on you or on the floor) distractions.
- Project self-confidence.
- Lock door and windows-both house and car-whether you are inside or out.
- Guard your keys-never leave them unattended and od not ‘hide’ them close to the house.
- Be aware of your surroundings-stay aware from burned out street lights.
- Practice the same security when around others and during the day as you do when you are alone at night.
- Verify unexpected repairs and deliveries-check the uniform, ID cards or call the supervisor.
- Don’t hesitate to be rude.
- Do not only look for the suspicious, but the innocent and ordinary-‘cute’ kids and couples make ‘cute’ criminals.
When in doubt, call 911!
I am a free-lance writer and Blogger. I am the author of the book "Firehouse 101" (IUniverse.com 2005) part of trilogy of books centered in New York City. My next book "Love Triangles" is finished being edited and should be ready for release in the Fall. My latest book, "Dinner at Midnight", a thriller is on its last chapter. My long awaited book explains the loss of the 2004 Yankee game to Boston.
I work as a Consultant, Adjunct College Professor, Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance member and Blogger. I have a blog site for caregivers called 'bergencountycaregiver', a step by step survival guide to all you wonderful folks taking care of your loved ones, a walking project to walk every block, both sides, of the island of Manhattan "MywalkinManhattan" and discuss what I see and find on the streets of New York and three sites to accompany it. One is an arts site called "Visiting a Museum", where I showcase small museums, historical sites and parks that are off the beaten track both in Manhattan and outside the city to cross reference with "MywalkinManhattan" blog site. Another is "DiningonaShoeStringNYC", featuring small restaurants I have found on my travels in this project, that offer wonderful meals for $10.00 and under. So be on the lookout for updates on all three sites and enjoy 'MywalkinManhattan'. The third is my latest site, "LittleShoponMainStreet", which showcases all the unique and independent shops that I have found on my travels throughout and around Manhattan.
I have started two new blog sites for the fire department, one "EngineOneHasbrouck HeightsFireDepartmentnj" for the Hasbrouck Heights Fire Department to discuss what our Engine Company is doing and the other is "BergenCountyFireman'sHomeAssociation" for the Bergen County Fireman's Association, which fire fighters from Bergen County, NJ, go to the Fireman's Home in Boonton, NJ to bring entertainment and cheer to our fellow brother fire fighters quarterly.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink
Please remember to be careful when you are alone!
LikeLiked by 1 person