What you need to know if there is a gas leak.

Keep your family safe.

What you need to know if there’s a gas leak.

PSE&G: 1-800-880-7734

If you smell something, say something. Natural gas smells like rotten eggs. If there’s a slight odor:


*Put out all open flames (No smoking!)

*Don’t touch electric switches, thermostats, appliance controls or electric panel breakers. Don’t use an automatic garage door openers or start your car if it is in the garage or neat the house.

*Call 1-800-880-7734

If there is a strong odor:


*Move at least 350 feet away.

*Call 1-800-880-7734 (PSEG) or 911.

*Remain outside until PSE&G arrives. We respond to reports of leaks within the hour. This is a free service.

Never assume someone else has called to report the leak.

Safety starts in your home:

*Keep gas values/vents clear and easy to access. This helps PSE&G quickly shut off the gas flow if there is a leaking pipe.

*Make sure gas appliances are turned off before you leave home.

*Never hang clothes on/around gas pipes or put any object near the gas meter.

*Some stove pilot lights should always be on. Blowing out the pilot doesn’t stop gas from escaping and can be dangerous.

*Call us if you need to move or replace a gas-fired appliance like a stove or clothes dryer.

*Regularly check the flexible connector that brings the gas to the appliance. If it is brittle, it could leak gas and should be replaced.

*Don’t step, sit, lean or place any objects on connectors.

*Indoor sewer-line caps should be in good shape and attached tightly to prevent gas from entering your home.

*Keeping cleaning products, gasoline, paints and other flammable materials away from gas appliances including the furnace and water heater.

*Have your heating and ventilation system serviced regularly.

Prevent a silent killer:

Carbon monoxide (CO) is odorless, tasteless and can be deadly.

Every fuel-burning appliance like a stove, boiler, water heater, clothes dryer, space heater or generator can make too much CO if it’s not working properly.

Symptoms of CO poisoning are flu-like: headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pains and confusion.

How to Prevent:

*Proper installation and maintenance of CO detectors is the primary defense against CO poisoning.

*Have all heating systems, vents and flues inspected and cleaned/repaired each year by a qualified technician.

*Never leave your car, lawn mower or snow blower running in a garage, shed or enclosed space.

*Never use barbecue grills or propane/kerosene heaters in an enclosed porch or garage area.

*Never use a gas range or oven to heat your home.

*Keep your furnace or boiler’s air intake supply ventilated and clear from obstructions.

Protect yourself and your family by buying a combined gas and CO detector. If you suspect CO poisoning, get outside immediately and call 911.

Do you have a gas leak?

Use your senses to find out.

*Smell-strong odor similar to rotten eggs.

*See-Exposed pipe, bubbling water, blowing dirt, dead plants or sinkhole.

*Hear-Roaring, hissing or whistling sound.

Always report gas leaks & odors to 1-800-880-PSEG (7734)

Call 911 before you dig!

For every digging project, even planting a tree or installing a new mailbox, call 811 before you dig for a mark out. It’s free and it’s the law! If there is excavation work on your property, make sure the contractor has also called 811 before starting.

How it works:

*Make the call: To request a FREE mark out of underground facilities, call 811 or 1-800-272-1000 at least three full business days before digging starts. This notifies utility operators to mark out underground natural gas, water, cable, telephone and electric utility lines.

*Wait the required time: Underground utilities will be marked with paint, flags or stakes. Do not start digging until the lines are marked. If the site does not have underground utilities, you will be notified.

*Note the expiration requirements: The mark out expires after 45 calendar days. Digging must begin within 10 days after the original mark out was requested.

*Respect the marks: Always hand dig and locate underground utilities within two feet of marked lines.

*Dig with crime: Making the call before you dig will help prevent property damage and potential injuries.

If you accidentally damage gas piping or smell gas when digging, immediately stop work, move to a safe place (350 feet away) and call 1-800-880-7734 (PSEG) and 911 immediately from a safe area.

Disclaimer: This information was taken from the PSE&G pamphlet that the company wanted customers to know. Please call them for more information at the above number. Call in case of a smell of gas!!




About jwatrel

I am a free-lance writer and Blogger. I am the author of the book "Firehouse 101" (IUniverse.com 2005) part of trilogy of books centered in New York City. My next book "Love Triangles" is finished being edited and should be ready for release in the Fall. My latest book, "Dinner at Midnight", a thriller is on its last chapter. My long awaited book explains the loss of the 2004 Yankee game to Boston. I work as a Consultant, Adjunct College Professor, Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance member and Blogger. I have a blog site for caregivers called 'bergencountycaregiver', a step by step survival guide to all you wonderful folks taking care of your loved ones, a walking project to walk every block, both sides, of the island of Manhattan "MywalkinManhattan" and discuss what I see and find on the streets of New York and three sites to accompany it. One is an arts site called "Visiting a Museum", where I showcase small museums, historical sites and parks that are off the beaten track both in Manhattan and outside the city to cross reference with "MywalkinManhattan" blog site. Another is "DiningonaShoeStringNYC", featuring small restaurants I have found on my travels in this project, that offer wonderful meals for $10.00 and under. So be on the lookout for updates on all three sites and enjoy 'MywalkinManhattan'. The third is my latest site, "LittleShoponMainStreet", which showcases all the unique and independent shops that I have found on my travels throughout and around Manhattan. I have started two new blog sites for the fire department, one "EngineOneHasbrouck HeightsFireDepartmentnj" for the Hasbrouck Heights Fire Department to discuss what our Engine Company is doing and the other is "BergenCountyFireman'sHomeAssociation" for the Bergen County Fireman's Association, which fire fighters from Bergen County, NJ, go to the Fireman's Home in Boonton, NJ to bring entertainment and cheer to our fellow brother fire fighters quarterly.
This entry was posted in Bergen County NJ Programs, Disaster and Terrorism Training Programs, Health and Life Support Services, Men's Programming, New Jersey State Program, Senior Services, Uncategorized, Woman's Programming and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to What you need to know if there is a gas leak.

  1. jwatrel says:

    Please call 911 if you smell gas!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s