PSE&G: Protect the ones you love. Important Natural Gas Safety information.

PSE&G: Protect the ones you love. Important Natural Gas Safety Information.

Educate your family about Natural Gas Leaks.

Natural gas is a clean and efficient fuel source used safely in millions of American homes and businesses. But as with any flammable material, leaks that do occur can be dangerous. PSE&G wants you to be fully aware of how to detect a gas leak and what to do if you suspect a leak in or around your home.

What to do in case of a leak:

Smell:

Don’t take any chances. If you think you smell a gas leak or see other signs, assume it is a leak.

Leave:

Leave you home immediately and get as far away as you can. If you notice the odor outside, leave the area where you suspect the leak is coming from.

Call:

Once you are in a safe environment-at least 350 feet away from the suspected gas leak area-call 911 or PSE&G at 1-800-880-PSEG (7734).

Protect Your Family Against Carbon Monoxide

What is Carbon Monoxide?

You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide (CO). Small amounts of CO are in the air whenever fuel (such as oil, gas or coal) is burned. These amounts are usually not harmful. However, when fuel-burning appliances and equipment are not working properly, too much CO can build up in the air and cause CO poisoning.

Symptoms of CO poisoning:

Symptoms can occur immediately or gradually after long-term exposure.

Headache, Dizziness, Weakness, Nausea, Vomiting and Confusion

What to do:

*If you think high levels of CO are in your home, go outside.

*If there is a medical emergency, such as someone falling unconscious, take the person outside to fresh air and call 911.

*Then call PSE&G emergency service line at 1-800-880-PSEG (7734). Wait outside until help arrives.

How to prevent CO Poisoning:

*Install Carbon Monoxide detectors as protection in every area of your house. Regularly check the batteries.

*Make sure that all fuel-burning appliances are maintained and are operating properly.

*Do not allow vehicles or any gasoline-powered engine to idle in a garage or enclosed space. CO can drift inside and create a hazardous situation.

How to know if there is a leak:

Because natural gas is odorless and colorless, a distinctive odor, like rotten eggs is added to it to help in the detection of leaks. Make sure everyone in your home is familiar with this odor.

There are reliable ways to detect a gas leak:

*Hearing a hissing sound

*Seeing bubbling in puddles

*Smelling the odor of rotten eggs

PSE&G: A Commitment to Safety:

PSE&G is deeply committed to the safety of our customers, our employees and the communities we serve. As your natural gas provider, we want to make sure you are prepared in the event of a gas emergency.

Share this brochure with everyone in your household. And keep it in a handy place to refer to quickly if you suspect a problem.

*Proper storage of flammables

*Safe digging around your home

*Gas Heater & Appliance safety

https://nj.pseg.com/outageandgasleaks/ismellgas#:~:text=If%20you%20accidentally%20damage%20gas,880%2D7734%20(PSEG).

https://nj.pseg.com/safetyandreliability/gassafety

https://www.pseg.com/safety

Disclaimer: I received this information in the mail from a PSE&G pamphlet and I give them full credit for the information. Please call PSE&G for more information and if you smell gas in the house call 911!

About jwatrel

I am a free-lance writer and Blogger. I am the author of the book "Firehouse 101" (IUniverse.com 2005) part of trilogy of books centered in New York City. My next book "Love Triangles" is finished being edited and should be ready for release in the Fall. My latest book, "Dinner at Midnight", a thriller is on its last chapter. My long awaited book explains the loss of the 2004 Yankee game to Boston. I work as a Consultant, Adjunct College Professor, Volunteer Fireman and Ambulance member and Blogger. I have a blog site for caregivers called 'bergencountycaregiver', a step by step survival guide to all you wonderful folks taking care of your loved ones, a walking project to walk every block, both sides, of the island of Manhattan "MywalkinManhattan" and discuss what I see and find on the streets of New York and three sites to accompany it. One is an arts site called "Visiting a Museum", where I showcase small museums, historical sites and parks that are off the beaten track both in Manhattan and outside the city to cross reference with "MywalkinManhattan" blog site. Another is "DiningonaShoeStringNYC", featuring small restaurants I have found on my travels in this project, that offer wonderful meals for $10.00 and under. So be on the lookout for updates on all three sites and enjoy 'MywalkinManhattan'. The third is my latest site, "LittleShoponMainStreet", which showcases all the unique and independent shops that I have found on my travels throughout and around Manhattan. I have started two new blog sites for the fire department, one "EngineOneHasbrouck HeightsFireDepartmentnj" for the Hasbrouck Heights Fire Department to discuss what our Engine Company is doing and the other is "BergenCountyFireman'sHomeAssociation" for the Bergen County Fireman's Association, which fire fighters from Bergen County, NJ, go to the Fireman's Home in Boonton, NJ to bring entertainment and cheer to our fellow brother fire fighters quarterly.
This entry was posted in Bergen County NJ Programs, Home Care Programs, Housing Programs, Senior Caregiver Programs, Senior Services, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to PSE&G: Protect the ones you love. Important Natural Gas Safety information.

  1. jwatrel says:

    Please protect your family. If you smell Natural Gas in the house, call 911 and then call PSE&G.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s